Landlord Resources

Key Legal Information

If you are unsure about filling in and serving legal contracts and notices then please use our Level Two service or consult an appropriately qualified professional. We can customise contracts for you if you want the rent paid on a certain day each month or want to include additional covenants.

Top Tips
  • Only use an AST contract for leases longer than 6 months and where you, the landlord, so not occupy any part of the building.
  • Initially grant a 6 month contact as it is far easier to give notice to terminate a contract than it is to evict a tenant for breach of a covenant, such as non-payment of rent.
Landlord Checklist

Download and print off our easy to use Landlord Checklist to make sure you cover all the necessary items when renting out your property.

Download your Landlord Checklist - Click Here

Better still opt for Mirus Two and benefit from having an online checklist for each of your properties. This will also enable you to keep a record of your Tenants, utility bills, meter readings, Gas Safety Certificates etc. Our unique system will also alert you by email when action is required by you such as warning you when your next Gas Safety Certificate is due or when to serve notice on tenants.

Top Tips
  • Buy Mirus Two and keep track of all your properties & tenants online from anywhere with internet access.
Buy to Let Mortgages

For Independent advice on Buy To Let Mortgages and Landlord Insurance Please contact Debbie Collier at Emil Thomas.

Debbie Collier
Emil Thomas Associates
Hayes House
6 Hayes Road

Tel: +44 (0) 208 315 7414
Fax: +44 (0) 208 315 7415
Mobile: +44 (0) 7956 911359

Emil Thomas Associates is an appointed representative of Intrinsic Mortgage Planning Ltd and Intrinsic Financial Planning Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.


It is very important to undertake a full Inventory of your property before renting whether it is furnished or unfurnished.The Inventory is your proof of the condition of the property fixtures and fittings should there be a dispute at the end of the tenancy. There are specialist Inventory companies on the market or you can choose to undertake your own. If you select Mirus Two we can send you a blank template for your Inventory.

Download a sample Inventory here - Click Here

Top Tips
  • Always do an Inventory
  • Get all the tenants to sign the Inventory and initial every page
  • Include meter readings on the Inventory
  • Add pictures of rooms furniture appliances carpets to your Inventory.
EPC - Energy Performance Certificate

It is now a requirement to have an EPC undertaken before a property is advertised for rental and contract signed so the tenant is aware of the property's energy rating. It is valid for 10 years and graded A to G, A being most efficient. If you are using one of the Mirus packages then you will have the option for us to arrange an EPC for you at checkout.

Gas Safety

If you are using one of the mirus packages then you will have the option for us to arrange a Gas Safety Certificate for you at checkout. The price will vary depending the number of appliances you have.

Landlord Insurance and Legal Protection

Insure yourself for loss and legal expenses from £100 per year, per property. Only available if tennants have been professionally referenced.

Top Tips
  • Check with your insurance company that they will cover you if you let your property without both buildings and contents insurance.
  • Ask your tenant to get their own contents insurance.
Health & Safety

Landlords must maintain their properties to provide a safe and healthy environment as dictated by the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS), and enforced by the Local Authority. See

A Landlord Gas Safe Certificate is compulsory for all rental properties. This is an annual safety check and test of gas appliances.

All properties should be fitted with a working and tested smoke alarm and with at least one per floor.In addition a Carbon Monoxide detector should also be installed.

Download a Home Fire Safety Guide here.

Any furniture or furnishing provided by the Landlord must conform to the Furniture & Furnishings (Fire & Safety) Regulations 1988. Items like sofas must be made of fire resistant material and have a fire safety label. Download a guide here

Top Tips
  • If you are renting rooms in a house or your property is an HMO then you will require a Fire Safety Assesement Certificate
  • If you are unsure then check with your local housing officer.